Monday, May 09, 2005

No Cutesy Title Today

Don't have much to say, but upon reflection yesterday I realized I have already contradicted myself in the short space of time that I've been keeping track of my fencentric thoughts. I have chronicled both a lack and a propensity of focus when bouting. Feel free to apply whatever snide comment you have handy about women being fickle creatures.

I could attribute this inconsistency to the strengthening of my mind, but well, I would be lying. I suspect it has more to do with the difference between one night and another. That is, I attribute the tenuous line I walk between confidence and diffidence to be largely controlled by my opponent. It's not losing that troubles me, it's chagrin which, aimed at me, inspires greater fear than a hand and half broadsword might against my foil.

Part of the learning process. Builds character. Etc. I can live with that I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always I'm soaking up stray comments overheard as well as directed. I'm impressed with how every experienced fencer has fixed opinions about what works, etc. I'm concluding that to a certain extent one's success in fencing is using the basic tools our coaches are trying to equip us with and then capitalizing on our strengths to develop our own style that results in points. I have miles to go judging by bruises I'm sporting.
The wet weather is preventing me from practicing right now. Plus, I'm behind in fertilizing the roses.

Courtney said...

Why, if I had a nickel for every bruise I could...hmm. Buy the weekday paper at least.